- In sport, round-robin refers to every player or team in a group or pool taking turns to play one another a set number of times. This may be called the group stage (or phase) of a tournament, prior to the knock-out stage.round robin が意味するのは、この「総当たり戦」だけではない。
- A round-robin tournament or all-play-all tournament is a type of group tournament in which each participant plays every other participant an equal number of times.
- Almost all football (soccer) leagues in the world are organized on a double round-robin basis, in which every team plays all others in its league once at home and once away.
1. tournament with everyone playing one another: a tournament in which each player or team plays against every other player or team in turn （総当り戦）さらに、コンピューター用語としても使われている。 しかしなぜ round robin というのだろうか。面白いことに、はっきりしている点と、謎に包まれた点があるようだ。Wikipedia からの引用である。
2. document each person passes on: a letter or other document circulated in turn to all members of a group, with each of them adding comments if they wish （回状）
3. petition with signatures in circle: a letter, especially a petition or letter of protest, on which the signatures are arranged in a circle in order to hide the identity of the first person to sign （順番がわからないように円形に署名した上申書）
The modern use of the term dates from the 17th Century French ruban rond (round ribbon). (中略)下記のサイトにも説明がある。 http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rou1.htm http://www.word-detective.com/back-m.html#robin もうひとつ、スポーツ関連の表現として best-of-（数字) という表現をあげておこう。「〜回戦（勝負）」ということである。
The term round-robin is recorded in English much earlier, although not with the above meaning. It first appears in 1546 (with meaning unknown) and appears later applied to a category of person (precise meaning unknown): "These Wat Tylers and Round-Robins being driven or persuaded out of Whitehall" (1671).
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-Robin )
The World Series championship is determined through a best-of-seven playoff. Best-of-seven has been the format of all the modern World Series except in 1903, 1919, 1920 and 1921 when the winner was determined through a best-of-nine playoff.ワールドシリーズは（日本シリーズも同様だが）７回戦勝負で、先に４勝した方が勝ちになる。 さらについでだが、こうしたゲームにつきものの「〜連勝」は、次のような言い方ができる。
- The Chicago White Sox defeated the Houston Astros 1-0 in Houston on October 26 to complete a four-game sweep in the best-of-seven 2005 World Series.
- The Sox beat the Cleveland Indians 11-2 Sunday, completing a comeback that required three straight wins in the best-of-seven American League Championship series.
- ... having lost four in a row after winning the first three in a best of seven series