- somebody in forties: somebody between 40 and 49 years of age ( informal )こうした言い方の実例。
- a person whose age is between forty and forty-nine years, inclusive; someone in his or her forties.
- advice for twentysomethingsWikipedia には、さらに詳しい情報がある。
- fortysomething boomer generation
- a very thoughtful fiftysomething guy
The term thirtysomething was initially introduced during the 1980s to describe a person of the baby boom generation, born during the 1940s and 1950s. It has now entered common usage in the English language to describe a person between the ages of 30 and 39.また、四十代を quadragenarian というように、難しげな単語もある。ほかの年代とともに列挙してみよう。
Almost immediately after the introduction of the 1980s television show, Thirtysomething, the term became a catch phrase used to designate baby boomers in their thirties.
fortysomething - quadragenarianかつて受験勉強などでは、octogenarian といった右側の言い方を学ぶこともあっただろうが、Wikipedia には、
fiftysomething - quinquagenarian
sixtysomething - sexagenarian
seventysomething - septuagenarian
eightysomething - octogenarian
ninetysomething - nonagenarian
A fortysomething (or forty-something) is a person aged between 40 and 49 years. This is generally accepted as the start of middle age. The term quadragenarian has also been used, but rarely used more recently, since around 1980.といった記述がある。他の年代についてもこの言い方はすたれてきているのではないだろうか。