- Representative Dennis J. Kucinich accused two of the major contenders for the Democratic nomination, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and John Edwards, of participating in a “conspiracy to rig the presidential election,” after they apparently suggested that future presidential debates should be pared down to include fewer candidates.rig は、「不正をする、不正に操作をする、八百長をする」という意味で広く使えそうな単語だ。英英辞書には、次のような説明や用例が載っている。
- "This is a serious matter and I'm calling him on it," Kucinich, an Ohio congressman, said in a telephone interview Friday. "Whispering, trying to rig an election, then denying what's going on and making excuses. It all reflects a consistent lack of integrity."
- arrange outcome dishonestly: to affect the outcome of something by intervening dishonestly or unfairly to gain an advantage日本の「談合」を表すのによくお目にかかるのが、bid-rigging という表現だ。
- to control or manipulate (a contest, election, or the like), arranging the outcome to one's own advantage; fix
- The station had rigged gasoline prices.
- Until this year, all elections were rigged by the ruling party.
- A TV personality well-know for is goofy screen roles has won a gubernatorial election in southern Japan's Miyazaki prefecture after its former governor resigned over a bid-rigging scandal.最初の文は、そのまんま東氏の勝利を伝えるAP通信の記事。２つ目はアメリカの政府機関のもので、そのためかやたらと長い文だが、bureaucrat-led bid rigging は「官製談合」のことになる。 参考：sex up、および「医者」ではない doctor
- In its October 2001 regulatory reform recommendations to Japan, the United States called for (中略) implementing a series of measures to eliminate bid rigging, including the introduction of effective legislation to prevent bureaucrat-led bid rigging and bolstering administrative controls on bid rigging by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MLIT).